Dog stairs can help to make life a lot easier for everyone. Whether you have a puppy that could use a hand getting up or you have an old friend that needs a little assistance, dog stairs can do the trick.
Maybe it is not the dog that needs some help but it is you that has a hard time helping them up, in either case quality of life is very important for both dogs and their humans.
Dog stairs can be a simple solution that can help everyone to live together in harmony and improve the quality of life.
There are different types of stairs that are available that range from ornate permanent options to portable folding options. There are a few things to consider before you settle on this solution:
- The size of your dog
- What you will use the stairs for
- How much you want to spend
- Whether they will be a permanent fixture or something portable
The number one deciding factor (after budget constraints) is the size of your dog. The best dog stairs for large dogs can work for smaller breeds but not vice versa.
In other words buying stairs that are meant for small dogs will not work for large breeds and can actually be a safety issue. Stairs are made for different tasks, of course there are universal stairs that will work for any task but do consider what you hope to get out of the stairs for your dog. Budget is always something to consider.
There are some really elaborate steps that can be on the high dollar end. Are you looking for something to take with you or will it be a permanent fixture in your home?
We took a look at a wide range of options to help you find one that will work best for you. Here is what we looked for:
- best dog stairs for large dogs
- best dog stairs for small dogs
- best dog ramps
- best dog stairs for indoors
- best pet stairs for outdoors
Here is What We Found
We looked at many different models but wanted to be sure that we did our research and looked at models that were both affordable and durable.
We also took a look at what other users had to say about the stairs before we would recommend them to you. Hopefully one of the suggestions below will be the best dog stairs for you!
Best Dog Stairs for Large Dogs
Most people think of little dogs when they think of dog steps but there are plenty of situations when a large dog needs steps.
Large dogs suffer with joint issues that can be compounded by jumping up and down to gain access to beds, furniture and even in and out of the car. Aging also is a reason to consider getting steps for your old friend. It is just a safer way for them to move about.
Pet Gear Easy Step II Extra Wide Pet Stairs, 2-step/for cats and dogs up to 200-pounds
This is a great movable option.
- We loved the wide steps that make it easier for larger dogs to have a sure footing. We also loved that this can easily be moved around the house. It is a durable option that can easily help any large breed or small breed for that matter get up and down with ease.
- The wide base ensures that their weight will be evenly distributed so no tipping issues. It is easy to wipe clean which is also a nice option.
- It has only 2 steps which may not make it high enough for some dogs to be able to get in and out of a car but if your dog is tall enough at the shoulders it would be fine.
Overall everyone that has purchased these dog steps loves them!
Best Dog Steps for Small Dogs
Small dogs are easier to buy for because they can use a wide range of steps however in some cases steps that are meant for large dogs may have a too high distance between steps for small dogs to use comfortably so it is best to purchase a model that is meant for small dogs.
Brinkmann 4 Steps Pet Steps
These are great steps for little dogs.
- We loved that it was 4 steps to make it easier for the little guys to reach their destination. We also loved the machine washable covers, just take them off when they are soiled and throw them in the washer. It is well made and attractive so it would look good in any décor.
- While the advertising materials says that it will hold up to 200 pounds no one that purchased it felt that it would. It did receive an almost perfect score from over 190 users but no one thought it was made to hold a great deal of weight.
Overall these steps are great for small dogs but it does not have the sturdy construction that you would need for large dogs.
Best Dog Stairs for Indoors
If you are looking for stairs that will compliment your décor we found an option that you can easily use to blend with your décor.
Best Pet Supplies ST200T-S Foam Pet Stairs/Steps, 15-Inch
This is a good option for indoors.
- This is offered in three different sizes and 6 different designs to easily blend in with your home décor. These are foam steps that are easy to move and that will look great indoors.
- They are foam steps which means that they are not made for dogs over 45 pounds so if you have a large size dog these are not likely an option for you.
Overall, every person that bought them loves them. They come highly recommended and may be the perfect option for you.
Best Pet Stairs for Outdoors
Helping your pooch get in and out of the car in all kinds of weather can come down to choosing the right pet stairs for outdoors.
PawHut 2-in-1 Portable Folding 3 Step Pet Stairs Ramp Easy Climb Pet Step Stool
These are foldable portable steps that can be used indoor and outdoor.
- These steps require no assembly. They fold for easy storage and offer tread safe steps that can be used in all types of weather.
- They are a little costly and they are on the ugly side but they work great and will easily meet the needs of anyone that needs outdoor steps.
When Steps are Not the Answer
In some cases stepping up is not possible for your dog. In that case you should be shopping for the best dog ramps.
Solvit Deluxe Telescoping Pet Ramp
This may be the best option if your dog needs some help getting in and out of the car or up and down the stairs.
- It is durable and is easy to store. It is lightweight yet it provides a great deal of strength to really stand up to the weight of any dog.
- There are no cons if you need a ramp instead of stairs this is a great option.
Your dog depends on you to keep their environment safe and easy to navigate. They do not have the option of asking you for help, but their body language can speak volumes. If you notice that your furry friend is struggling dog stairs can help with their mobility. It is a small investment to make, to make their life more comfortable and they will greatly appreciate your effort because it will help them to remain actively involved with the family!