Every dog owner should strive to keep his or her dogs as busy as possible. Failing to keep them engaged in the appropriate activities and with their minds fully stimulated, within no time, your healthy canine friend will find his own things to keep himself busy.
The normal activities of a dog includes digging, hunting, tearing things apart, jumping, chewing and running. These exercises must be exercised in order to keep their physical and mental health in check.
Here is how you can help your dog with his chewing exercises:
- Invest in a great chew toy for your dog such as Nylabone. You should however avoid rawhides, which they pose numerous risks, which include your dog biting huge chunks and swallowing them. Should this happen, this can result in internal obstructions forcing your dog to undergo surgery or even death.
- Another way to help your dog is by taking a rope toy, soak it in chicken broth before freezing it to give you a tasty, chilling delicacy in summer.
- Provide your dog with a variety of textures to chew especially something that they can tear apart such as a rope or stuffed toy to them power in the jaw or something they can scrape their canines against.
- Some dogs enjoy chasing and chewing tennis balls. However, it is important that you keep in mind the fact that most of these tennis balls designed for sports contain chemicals that help them to bounce on the court. Unfortunately, these chemicals will wear down your dog’s teeth enamel if used for a long time.
- It is highly recommended that your assess the toys to note the level of chewing by your dog. If your dog is an aggressive chewer, go for the toys made of sturdy and strong rubber with no knobs that they can pulls off or even swallow accidentally.
Make your dog for his Working for dinner
- Warp up his dinner or treat in old soaks or rags and let him tear it down for to get his tasty dinner. As he gets better with at this with time, make tighter knots and place the rags in a box to make him work even harder for his meals. You will notice that once he is done feeding, he takes a nap.
- Go outside and throw his dinners in a chicken feeding style all over the yard. This is a great draining exercise for your dog. You dog works with his natural instincts to sniff out the delicacies. A large part of a dog’s brain is designed to control the olfactory capability and as such, with these activities, you force him to use his nose and ultimately the more stimulated and tired they will be.
- Get him raw marrowbones or the knucklebone and feed them to your dog while frozen take to make then last longer and refreeze them afterwards.
- Invest in food dispensing toys that can be effectively stuffed with food for your dog. There are cubes, balls, as well as several other shapes for your dog to roll whack or shake to get to his dinner. Go for toys such as Kong, which is designed to be filled with soft foods such as peanuts butter and canned food as well as Kibble mixture. Remember to freeze for it to last longer.
Exercises That Does Not Involve Walking
Stimulating your dog’s nose is one of the best dog exercises. As noted above, a big part of your dog’s brain is set aside to control the olfactory functions and as such, the more you utilize exercises where he uses his nose, the more stimulated he will be and ultimately the more tired it will make him. Train him to sniff out small biscuits around your home.
For this exercise to work, you need to start easy to help him catch on to the game. As he progresses on well, gradually increase the games difficulty. You can initiate the game with some verbal cues.
Another fun activity for your dog is the fetch, hide and seek Recall game. When properly done, it helps to make the dog more obedient and attention to its master.
You can also opt to teach him a few tricks, which is equally a fun activity, guaranteed to stimulate your dog. The best thing about this activity that they help to stimulate your dog. This is especially a fun activity when done with your kids around.
If your dog enjoys digging, you can set aside a heap of dirt or sand as a designated place for your dog to fulfil his digging needs. You can even burry a few toys in the sand and train your dog to dig find them by encouraging him to dog on the designated spot.
If your dog love water spots, you can set aside a small kiddie pool, which is more fun for your dog. If you have a swimming pool, most dogs you will notice that most dogs enjoy swimming and playing the fetch game in the pool.
Your dog might also love running an obstacle course which is an agility competition. Create an agility course in your backyard. You can get the tunnels from the local kid’s toy store and make jumps using PVC pipes purchased from your local hardware store.
Why Exercises Are So Important
Dogs, just like humans need regular exercises to keep their physical and mental health in check. However, for these exercises to be effective, they must be consistent round the year. Once these needs are met with irregularities, you will soon notice behavioural problems in your dog.
Failing to exercise all together is likely to result in numerous complications such as hyperactive greeting, scavenging the garbage, increased anxiety, chewing on everything, they can get their teeth, or even aggression.
If your canine friend is predisposed to aggressions coupled with anxiety due to lack of exercises, this can increase the problem.
Just like humans, your dog can inhibit fever of some sort or even go crazy when kept locked up for long. However, if the weather discourages physical activities for your dog, it is likely that you will slack on his regular workout regimen.
To keep your dog from visiting your vet any soon, keep him well entertained throughout winter even it impossible to walk in the chilling temperatures.
Give your dog at least two activities each day coupled with a number of socialization opportunities.
Before concluding that this feel a little too much, seek recommendation of a vet and you will then realize their importance to your dog.
7 Indoor Toys every dog owner should have
Kong Medium Cozie Dog Squeaky
As the saying goes, Kong is king. This toy is available in 10 different characters and features a squeak designed to entice dogs to play with it. It also features a little filling to make to minimize the mess.
In additions, an extra layer of material is added to boost its durability. If your dog loves the fetch game, then this is the ultimate toy to go for.
- Designed to be a comfort toy
- Minimum mess
- Extremely durable
- Not designed for chewing
Benebone Bacon Flavored Wishbone Chew
This Beneone chew toy comes in bacon flavor to entice the dogs to taste it. The curve makes this chew toy easy for your dog to grab and bite.
This US-made dog toy is designed specifically for dogs weight 70 pounds and below. Among the ingredients used are bacon, nylon and made in a facility where it is likely to come into contact with nuts.
Any one in your home is allergic to nuts, this product may not be the best for your case.
- Bacon flavored
- Easy for your dog to grab and bite
- Not ideal for dog owners who are allergic to nuts
- Meant for chewing and not to be eaten
- Replaced upon signs of wear and cracks
Kong Air Squeaker Tennis Ball
This is yet another dog toby from Kong brand designed to encourage dog exercises and playtime. Upon purchasing, the pack comes with three tennis balls adding an additional element of fun thanks to the squeakers in each ball.
These balls are made from extremely durable material and can easily float.
- Made from nonabrasive and unbreakable material
- Comes with a non-toxic cover
- Should not be chewed
- Your dog shred the cover
Kong Rubber Dog Chew
This has been one of the best selling dog toys for ages now. It is commonly referred to as simply the Kong. This toys is designed to give your dog a great jaw workout especially is it enjoys chewing.
The ability of this toy to bounce is an additional benefit. This toy is great to distract and a dog recovering from surgery and that is under restricted mobility.
Distracting your dog with this toy is as easy as cleaning the Kong or loading it up with delicacies such as peanut butter and freezing it upon which you can then use it to distract your dog.
- Extremely durable
- Effective in distracting dogs
- Made from nontoxic natural rubber
- Erratic bouncing
- Safe chew
- Although durable, it can still be destroyed by intent chewers
Kong Rubber Ball Extreme
This Kong Rubber Ball Extreme toy is available in two sizes, which are small and medium/large.
The toy comes with an extreme bounce capability and is puncture resistant which means that you no longer have to worry about your dog’s canine sinking into it.
The toy comes with a hole drilled in the center of to improve its durability.
- Extremely price
- Available in two sizes
- Bounces and puncture resistant
- Can still be damaged
Kong Rubber Flyer Frisbee Dog Toy
Kong Rubber Flyer Frisbee Dog Toy is another renowned product from the renowned company KONG and designed to give the fetch game a new meaning.
This flying toy is made from a natural rubber just like other Kong toys and is extremely durable and flexible.
Unlike other plastic flyers, which crack, splinter, and hurts the dogs mouth, this toy is much softer and gentle on the mouth to take the fun to the next level.
- Easy on your dog’s mouth
- Made from natural rubber
- Extremely durable and flexible
- Safe to play with
- This is not a chew toy
- May choke your dog if not closely monitored
Nyalabone Galileo Natural Nearly Indestructible Bone
This toy is ranked high as one of the strongest nylon dog bone in the world and proven effective in keeping your dog’s teeth clean.
Besides cleaning his teeth, this toy is also designed to massage his gum and come together to keep his mouth healthy while keeping the dog entertained.
- Nylabone Galileo Natural Nearby Indestructible Bone is made of nylon
- Strong and durable
- Cleans teeth and offers gum massage
- If you pet has a chipped or cracked canine, this Nylabone toy is not suitable for your dog since it is likely to cause further damage to his teeth.
- Close monitoring is highly recommended
Exercises are as important to your dog as they are to us. The dog toys discussed above are designed to help your keep your dog busy and entertained.
Ensure that you choose the best toy that meets all your dogs needs and that will not harm your dog in any way.